One of the best reasons to learn to brew is it helps to gain knowledge on various grains and ingredients. The best way to achieve this is by learning from a professional like Jean-Louis Dourcy who hold expertise in preparing different malting beer recipes. Here are top 5 Castle Malting Beer Recipes by Jean-Louis Dourcy.
Belgian Saison Beer: This is commonly known as farmhouse ale and is a refreshing pale ale that is fruity, carbonated and spicy.
Beer recipe: In making this malting beer, malt ingredients used are Chateau Pilsen 2RS 17 kg/hl, Chateau Cara Clair 2 kg/hl and Chateau Wheat Blanc 2 kg/hl. Hops used are magnum 50g/hl, Mosaic 90g/hl, Aramis 50g/hl, and Perle 20g/hl. Moreover, 70 g of Safale Be – 134 is needed.
- Mashing at different temperature for different minutes
- Filtration where the wort is separated from the spent grain with water at a 75°C
- Boiling is needed for 85 minutes and adds Magnum, Aramis, Perle, and Mosaic.
- Fermentation is needed to ferment this mixture at 25°C with the specific yeast.
- Lagering process matures during the 2 weeks at 2°C.
Triple Blond: As per Jean Louis Dourcy, Triple Blond is a highly preferred beer that is slightly gold and imparts a malty aroma. It has a delicately sweet taste and moderate bitterness.
Recipe: Chateau Pilsen 2RS 19.5 kg, Chateau Cara Blond 2.3 kg, Chateau Cara Clair 1 kg and Chateau Wheat Blanc 1 kg. 70 g of Safale BE – 256 yeast and candy sugar white 0.6 kg.
- Mashing is needed for 45 minutes that should be increased gradually and rest at a different temperature.
- Filtration is required to separate the wort from the spent grain from water at 75°C.
- Boiling is needed for 1 hour at 100°C and requires adding hop Polaris, sugar and other ingredients at a different temperature.
- Cool down the mixture at 27°C then ferment at 27°C with the provided yeast and then leave it to lagering for 2 weeks.
Scotch Beer: It has a rich and dominating aroma and sweet malt flavor. It also imparts soft bitterness along with the roasted coffee aroma.
Recipe: Chateau Pilsen 2RS 14 kg, Chateau roasted barley 3 kg, Chateau wheat blanc 1 kg and Chateau peated 0.2 kg, 55 g of Safale yeast, 100 g Goldings pellets and 70g of fuggle pellets.
- Malting is needed in 80 l of water at 62°C and rests at different temperatures for specific minutes.
- Boiling is needed for 70 minutes and adds hop goldings pellets at the time of boiling and then hop fuggle pellets after an hour.
- Ferment the mixture with the yeast at 25°C
- Lagering is needed for 2 weeks at 2°C
Sahti Beer: As per Chronique de Jean-Louis Dourcy, this is a sweet amber beer that is available with floral, juniper, herbal and spicy aromas. This is most demanded traditional beer from Finland and is popular all over the world.
Recipe: Chateau Pilsen 2RS 17 kg, Chateau Rye malt 4 kg, Chateau peated 1 kg and Chateau Cara blond 1 kg, brewers gold 110 g and safale S-33 50-80 g yeasts along with Juniper berries 25 g.
- Mashing is needed in 70 liters of water at 67°C and then increased gradually
- During filtration, separate wort from the spent grain with the use of water at 75°C
- Boiling is needed for 80 minutes and adds hop brewers gold, Juniper barriers
- Ferment the mixture at 23°C with yeast
- Lagering is needed for 2 weeks at 3°C
Brown Smoked Beer: This beer is red colored with red hints that impart baked bread, malty aroma, and woody smoke notes.
Beer recipe: Ingredients used are Chateau Pilsen 2RS 10kg, Chateau Pale Ale 3 kg, Chateau Minich 2 kg, Chateau Cara gold 4 kg, Chateau Chocolate 0.5 and Chateau peated 1 kg, Tettnang 50g, Magnum 50g and SafAle BE -256 50-80 g.
- Mashing for 45 minutes at 62°C
- Boiling is needed for 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cool and then ferment at 23°C with SafAle BR-256
- Lagering is needed for 15 days at 2°C
Also, Read the Interesting Topic: Art of Malting and Blending Tradition with Jean Louis Dourcy